Applescript errors? Build errors?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Feb 8 02:36:34 UTC 2001

>Hi,
>
>I also tried using the Applescript support from within Squeak
>(Applescript doIt: 'beep 3'.) and that also failed with a type(?)
>error

You need the TestOSAPlugin, I've emailed you a copy.

>  I am using Squeak 2.8.4 and Mac 9.0.4 and also 9.1.  Has anyone
>used Applescript in Squeak recently?  Is Squeak compliant with
>Apple's scripting architecture?  Does it work with 9.0.4+?  I did a
>search on the Swiki but didn't get pertinent hits on this.

Squeak isn't AppleScript aware, it could be, just a few good
hours/men/coders are needed to add a bunch of stuff. I mean one could
get Squeak to execute arbitrary Smalltalk via an applescript call,
now if that is a good idea that is another issue.

>I decided that this was a good opportunity to try to build Squeak
>(anything is better than doing taxes, right?;).  I created the
>sources and tried to compile with the most recent CodeWarrior, CW
>Pro 6+recent updates.  I received errors about a missing identifier
>when MacTypes.h specifies the Type_Bool enum { true = 1 false =0}.
>I tried a number of CW options (turning off or on Bool support and
>warnings, etc.) but could not get past this with compiler option
>changes.    I'm not much of a C programmer so didn't want to mess
>with the code.  Has anybody used CW pro 6 to build Squeak?

In the update that went out yesterday
3536macVM3-0-2UpdatesJMM.cs -- John McIntosh -- 6 February 2001
Update the macintosh source to match the V3.02VM.
This is an attempt to drag the project files towards a more current release.

There is a change to the CodeWarrior project in the
projectArchive.sit , I've exported the project I'm using to build
3.0. Import this into CodeWarrior, and try that. If you get the same
error let me know.
(Sign didn't update the readme)

Ok how about you shake out the bugs as a novice builder for me, then
we'll get it right for the pending CD eh?

>So another opportunity presented itself.  I tried the 1999 MPW build
>options using the latest (Feb, 2001) MPW.  Got an entirely different
>set of errors.  FIrst got errors that MrC could not do implicit type
>casting from int to char * for moduleName =
>ioListBuiltinModule(index) - in interp.c;  I put in an explicit cast
>on this and another similar error.  That seemed to make the compiler
>happy.  Then I got many errors about duplicate definitions of the
>SQFile struct - defined in sq.h as well as several plugin.h files.
>There is even a comment in the code about the code creating
>duplicate definitions as if this is an okay thing to do.  Did this
>work on a previous version of MrC and now it is tightened up?

I'll look into this, Since Jitter 3 is using MPW there has been
discussion of offering only an MPW version, versus a CW one.

>Any help or guiding direction would be much appreciated.
>
>Jack Keel
>University of Wisconsin

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6