[BUG] Low Space problem in 3.0

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Feb 20 16:02:22 UTC 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, James Howe wrote:

> To be more specific about my problem, I suspect that it has to do with the
> fact that I set my color depth to 32, coupled with a 1600x1200
> resolution.  If I run the 3.0 image and set my display depth to 32, the
> space left is 1,607,204.

That explains your low space. Looks like the Windows default
heap size is 20m, then. 1600*1200*4 takes almost 8 MB of memory.
Your low space debug log indicates the turtles wanted to draw trails,
which causes *another* bitmap of that size to get allocated.

There should be a more sophisticated guess at the default heap size. How
about (image data size + 2*fullscreen size + 1M breathing room)? Of
course, if that's more than memory available, it would be limited to
(image data size + window size + 100K), which is the same as now plus the
space for Display.

-- Bert