submorph NOT associate with its original owner after move to different location. And other issues.

TECHIN.A.KANG at mail.sprint.com TECHIN.A.KANG at mail.sprint.com
Wed Jan 17 23:26:48 UTC 2001

Hi,

I need helps to move me forward.

Quesiton A)
A morph can accept dropped morph. The submorphs move relative to their
owner.

Everytime I move the submorph to a new position, it changes its owner to
WORLD. Anyway I can force the submorph to change owner only when I force
it to do so?

For example, the curveMorph with textMorph ("Snazzy Bevelled Edges") at
the demo world "Play With Me - 2". If I alt-click the morphs until the
textMorph's handles show up and move it, the curveMorph is not its owner
any more.

What I want to do:

1) A morph (say an iconMorph) can associate with many submorph. When I
move the morph (iconMorph) its submorphs move relative to its owner;
when I move the submorph, no other objects move along with it. Mean -
when I re-arrange the iconMorph's submorphs positions, their
relationship should not be broken.

2) 2 morphs can be connected with a curveMorph or something like that.
(3 morphs in this case?). When I re-arrange their positions, the
curveMorph redraw to reflect the position change. When I move anyone of
the two morphs, the 3 objects move in the same direction and maintain
their relative position.

3) so, I can display a morph's states (instance variables) as submorphs
depending on their willingness to display or not.

Question B)
A morph is a concret object as I read from Mr. John Maloney's "An
introduction to Morph: The Squeak UI Framework". So I think every object
should have a name and birthday.

I tried to add instance variables givenName and birthDay to class
Object, and got rejected. Why? What is the best resolution to force the
whole system to assign the time an object was created? I added to Morph
Class and it works. But, may be my approach may interfere with other
works.

Question C)
A morph world is a collection of morphs. How can I make connections
among worlds? Like the flow-chart you can have one object its output is
point to another object at different sheet.

THANKS,
Techin Alex Kang