new CE/iPAQ VM

Ohshima, Yoshiki Yoshiki.Ohshima at disney.com
Mon Jul 9 18:52:21 UTC 2001

  Hello,

> When the subject of a stylus-centric UI came up a few months ago, Alan Kay
> spoke strongly on his feeling that Morphic + Genie are a solution that
> people need to look more closely at, rather than discard.  Presumably one
> would invent gestures to avoid the necessity for multiple buttons.  Since
> you've included a Genie plug-in in the new VM, perhaps people should give
> that approach a try.

  Yeah, this is the way I called "extend Morphic" in my
previous email.  Still, using the hardware buttons to modify
stylus-touch doesn't match with this tactics.

  I would like to use the hardware buttons as buttons.  If
those buttons generate normal keycode, we can programm them
at Squeak level.

> > Actually, John Maloney has written a UI framework named
> > PenSprites and we have been using it to build PDA-centric
> > applications.
>
> Where and when can we see a copy of this PenSprites UI to play with?  :-)
>
> A pen-centric UI would be nice, but many of us would still want tools (e.g.,
> browsers), so that we can do some programming on the PDA, rather than just
> use the PDA as a end-user device.

  However, I doubt that people are willing to write
substaintial amount of code in current Morphic running on a
PDA, even if you can move the cursor without generating
click events.  (I have been writing some amount of code in
MVC running on a PDA for a few years:-))

  PDA as EToy platform would be interesting, if tailored to
pen-based operaton.

-- Yoshiki