Developing RPG (Tile-based graphics with transparency)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Sat Jul 28 16:10:21 UTC 2001

I meant "what else are you trying to do?".  Many easy things can be
done in the children's authoring environment, but not all escalations
with work.

If you bring in a picture, get its "halo of handles" by cmd-click
(alt-click on a PC) you will get its "viewer". If you move your
picture around with the mouse you will see the x and y properties
changing in the viewer. It is easy to make scripts that manipulate
these properties by dragging out tiles from the viewer and dropping
them on the desktop and then into the scripts that appear. E.g. drag
the "x" property from the "<-" and drop it on the desktop, this will
make a script.

There is more information about all this at
http://www.squeakland.org, including an almost finished tutorial.

Cheers,

Alan

------