Cmd/Ctrl/Cmd-shift keys on windows (was Re: "File in" dialogbox

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Wed Mar 14 20:27:01 UTC 2001

Bijan,

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:42:55 -0500 (EST) Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:57:58 -0500 (EST) Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> wrote:
>> >cmd-return: returns and indents.
>> >ctrl-return: deletes everything.
>>
>> These work the same on the Mac and the only difference in what my code
>> report is that one says CONTROL and the other says COMMAND.
>
>I get, respectively, COMMAND 16rD and CONTROL 16rA
>
>And it doesn't necessary delete everything. I don't know what it does!

Well, it seem like something lower down (VM or OS) is turning a control-return into a linefeed. There is no command defined for linefeed, but, due to some unfortunate overlap of code spaces, that value will translate to #doAgainMany: (control-j). So what you see it do will depend on what was done before that keystroke.

>> >cmd-': single quotes selection.
>
>COMMAND ' 16r27
>
>> >cmd-shift-': nothing.
>
>COMMAND SHIFT " 16r22

Another difference: on the Mac I get 16r27 for both with one having SHIFT and the other not.

>> >ctrl-': nothing.
>
>Nothing!
>
>> It would be interesting to compare what you are actually getting in
>> these cases.
>>
>> >cmd-shift/ctrl-9: nothing.
>
>ctrl-9: nothing
>cmd-shift-9: COMMAND SHIFT ( 16r28
>
>> So, do you get keystrokes reported here?
>
>> >cmd-shift/ctrl-b: works
>> >cmd-shift/ctrl-f: works.
>> >cmd-shift/ctrl-a: works.
>> >cmd-shift/ctrl-s: dunno.
>>
>> Control-s is subtle. It's like cmd-g.
>>
>> >Whatever-\: doesn't work.
>> >
>> >of the enclosers, only cmd-' works (not even ctrl-').
>> >
>> >Oops. cmd-[ works, but not ctrl.
>> >
>> >Oops. cmd-, works, but not ctrl or cmd-shift.
>>
>> Sounds in general like many control key combos are not getting through
>> or have values that are not what Squeak expects.
>
>No ctrl-number key works.
>Or ctrl-punctuation.
>Ctrl-letters show up, e.g.:
>
>	 CONTROL 16r1
>         CONTROL 16r13
>         CONTROL 16r4
>         CONTROL SHIFT 16r1
>         CONTROL SHIFT 16r13
>         CONTROL SHIFT 16r4
>         CONTROL SHIFT 16r7
>         CONTROL SHIFT 16r8
>         CONTROL SHIFT 16rA

This is Windows, right? Maybe someone knows if we can get Windows to cough up more Mac-like keystrokes or perhaps we can rearrange the tables involved to get better results.

Cheers,
Bob