A Squeak PDA

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Nov 9 03:52:31 UTC 2001

Aaron J Reichow <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> pondered...

>1. Figure out how to get rid of focus-follow mouse.  Wasn't there a CS
>that did this already?

I'm not sure if anyone accomplished it.  Someone (Jon Hylands??) had a changeset that simulated the touchscreen, though, so you could tell what wouldn't work (mouse-overs, for starters).

>2. A soft-keyboard morph

I don't know if anyone has actually done one (though the topic has come up).  If you look at PianoKeyboardMorph, you'll see how easy it ought to be.  PKM is an entire working 88-key keyboard in 4 or 5 methods.

>6. Pound out some PIM apps.

You might get a quick start from the PDAMorph, but then you probably want to do a more modern interface.  The Calendar and Clock will probably be useful at least.

By the way, I have been very happy with my decision to show a week of the following month.  It is a constant convenience.

>I'm going to try and get started on this.  I started out with the aim of
>using PicoGUI and writing bindings for it to Lua.  But C gets to me, and I
>think that's pretty much abandoned.

Hope this helps.  I'm afraid all I can do is kibitz (too much other fun stuff), but good luck on it!

	- Dan