cache in a VM

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Sun Nov 25 01:29:23 UTC 2001

tjazul at uni.edu wrote...

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> replied...
>I'm really puzzled why you are working with such a VM; restricting to 16
>bit OOPS is really very ancient technology. Is this some old version of
>LittleSmalltalk or something? Why not use a more modern system; ie
>Squeak ?

Hey, Tim, go easy on the guy.  It saves space.
The first *decade* of Squeak's lineage was 16-bit pointers.

But why not get adventurous and use 8 bits to encode a pointer or an integer.  You'll need to use extended precision more often, but you'll have learned something by the time you're done.

Maybe you could blow it into an FPGA.

Just kidding.

Not

 - D