XML Parser choice (was Re: [ENH] ??? MD5 in Squeak.)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 27 15:32:40 UTC 2001

> Maybe we should agree on a Squeak native (lean mean DTD skipping, SAX)
> parser and point to the VW port for applications that need the more
> complete implementation the VW port offers.
>

>From an outsider's perspective, this seems like a really strange
strategy.  Code size isn't a terribly big deal -- the thing the Squeak
community is most constrained by is programmer time.  How often does
someone post about a really neat idea they have.... but that they don't
have time to program?  I'd much rather see SuperSwiki get connected to
Jabber, for example, than see a custom XML library.  :)

Besides, it would seem reasonable to at least *try* to divide the VW
parser into subsets, so that you can load whichever parts you need.

-Lex