Squeak 3.1a-4164 on OpenBSD 2.8 or later?

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Tue Oct 2 04:52:12 UTC 2001

Hi John--

> ...awk...

	That shouldn't result in unresolved symbols... Anyway, I installed
'gawk' and the gnuify stuff happens, and there are still unresolved
symbols.

	I think the problem is with 'ld'. OpenBSD 2.8 ships with 'gcc' as the
system C compiler, GNU as the system assembler, but a non-GNU 'ld' as
the system linker. I built GNU 'ld' from the GNU binutils package, but
the system 'gcc' won't work with it. It seems rather weird that 'gcc'
and GNU 'ld' wouldn't work with each other, even if they happen to be a
year different in age. My attempt to build a current version of 'gcc'
was unsuccessful, due to unsupported assembler relocations, which I have
no idea how to deal with.

	Sigh. Not being able to build Squeak leaves me feeling violated. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist