Squeak 3.1a-4164 on OpenBSD 2.8 or later?

Steve Elkins sgelkins at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 2 10:02:38 UTC 2001

> > ...awk...
>
> 	That shouldn't result in unresolved symbols... Anyway, I installed
> 'gawk' and the gnuify stuff happens, and there are still unresolved
> symbols.
>
> 	I think the problem is with 'ld'. OpenBSD 2.8 ships with 'gcc' as the
> system C compiler, GNU as the system assembler, but a non-GNU 'ld' as
> the system linker. I built GNU 'ld' from the GNU binutils package, but
> the system 'gcc' won't work with it. It seems rather weird that 'gcc'
> and GNU 'ld' wouldn't work with each other, even if they happen to be a
> year different in age. My attempt to build a current version of 'gcc'
> was unsuccessful, due to unsupported assembler relocations, which I have
> no idea how to deal with.

Hi,

I don't have time to work on this, but I'm willing to tell all I
remember.

1. I managed to build a VM on OpenBSD 2.7 that still works fine except
for sound.  John quoted some of the relevant info.  But things have
changed since then.

2. Building other things, I've fixed some problems with unfound
symbols by adding '-Bshareable' as a flag for ld.

3. I ran into approximately the same thing Craig did and tried adding
the shareable flag, but all build operations now pass through gcc and
it wants -B for its own.  I'm sure there's a way to tell it -B is for
the linker but I don't know how and I'm not sure it'd fix things.

4. The libtool script has this tantalizing line
    archive_cmds="\$LD -Bshareable -o \$lib \$libobjs \$deplibs \$linkopts"
but I don't know what it means.

5. Most importantly, there's a real Squeak port (BSD sense of the
term) of Squeak 3.0 in the lang section of OpenBSD 2.9, sound is even
supposed to work but I can't say for sure because my sound card isn't
supported.  If I get time to work on this before subsequent releases
of both make it irrelevant, I'll start with the port since it seems to
have been created by Mark Espie, who's an expert in this arcane field.

6. The 3.0 VM will start an image updated through 4303.  3D's busted
of course, but whole parts of it work just fine.

Steve