how to disable sound?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 9 18:08:39 UTC 2001

Arnold Stern <arnold.stern at rz.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to disable sound support in Linux-Squeak-3.0
> since I have no soundcard and often found squeak complaining: "no /dev/dsp"
> After putting "#undef HAVE_OSS" in sqUnixConfig.h, squeak now freezes
> every time when I try to remove a morph from the screen (via the halo icon).
> Is there a better way to drop sound support ?

This is fixed in on my patches page.  The problem is that the VM is
trying to simulate playing the sounds, but doesn't do a good job of it.
Change snd_Start() from whatever it is to just return "false" (or maybe
true -- I can't remember).  Then all should be well.

I'm unsure of what to do about those debug messages.  Trying again does
seem reasonable, because it might be transient error.  I guess one
message per sequence of failures would be a reasonable middle ground?

-Lex