Next generation of PDAs?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Sep 10 20:13:16 UTC 2001

Craig Latta <Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG> is widely believed to have written:

> 	Tim Rowledge writes:
>
> > My 200MHz StrongARM... is useless for Morphic.
>
> 	How do you quantify that? (menu latency, etc.)  Morphic on a 206MHz
> iPAQ seems tolerable to me.
Try it out on that Acorn you have sitting in your pile; you'll soon
understand! I suspect (with little good evidence right now) that it is
primarily event handling problems along with the shear mips-consumption
of the code. Remember, that Acorns have a memory bus with about 20% the
capacity of the newer ARM machines. That's what I get for having a six
year old machine!

Interestingly, there is an upgrade that provides a fast memory bus and
SDRAM on the same card as the cpu (thus bypassing the damp string memory
bus of the main board) which runs the GreenBook benchmarks nearly
_three_ times as fast. As a nice warning about the value of benchmarks,
the 0 tinyBenchmarks figure is barely 20% better.... I'm hoping that by
the time the new machines arrive (ie XScale, fast bus etc) I might be
able to afford one.

tim
Press [ESC] to detonate or any other key to explode.