[Problem]: Squeak won't come up under my Unix

Felix Franz fefr at gmx.net
Tue Sep 11 08:16:28 UTC 2001

Alexander Klein wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I spent the last few days trying to get Squeak to run on my machine, an
> m68k-apple-NetBSD1.5.1 system. The virtual machine compiles without a
> problem, but when I try to start Squeak, I get:
>
> This visual class is not supported.
>
> And that's it.
>
> I run X11R6 with xdm and twm on a monochrome display.

I think the Squeak-VM support only 8,16,24 and 32 bits per pixel.
It shouldn´t be too hard to implement the code for monchrome display.
The ´src/unix/sqXWindow.c´ is responsible for the X-stuff.

The Squeakbook (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1801) contains a
chapter "porting Squeak" by Ian Piumerta which explains the
display-stuff. If you have time ...

Cheers,

Felix