Localization in code

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Fri Sep 28 01:18:45 UTC 2001

Raymond,

> Andreas, this seems to me very interesting but I wonder what
> will happen with diacritics characters and the Smalltalk
> interpreter ?

First of all nothing. The interpreter is not affected at all since we're
talking about literal strings and you can put everything you'd like into
those. However ...

> May be my apprehension is wrong but by now except in 'comments'
> these characters won't fit. Just try to select in a browser a
> string like this 'hégémonie'. If you double clik the 'm' you'll
> select 'monie' !!

... in the long term I really want to change this anglo-centric point of
view here. Some time ago I did an experiment along the lines of changing
some magic definitions (both in Character and in Scanner) to allow for all
of umlauts diacritics etc. It's *really* simple ... and it works too ;-)

[BTW, if you're interested I think I can still dig out the code]

Cheers,
  - Andreas