straw-man 3.2 default preferences

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Fri Apr 19 17:20:53 UTC 2002

Hi Scott & co.

I admit that I was initially turned off by the flop-out scroll bars and the
bold colors in Squeak, but now, several years later, I find that I don't
mind the floppy scroll bars and the colors really do help when you've got
overlapped windows.  Perhaps a "use all white browser windows" option should
be a more obvious option for newbies, but I vote to retain the colored
windows for the distro.

* I prefer the pastel colors, rather than the original bold colors
* I don't mind flop-out scroll bars, but *hate* the sausage (sorry, but this
was a bad idea IMNSHO)
* I always hide the scroll bar where the listbox doesn't need one (short
lists)
* I always display version numbers on my methods (how else can you tell if
you made the last change?!?)
* I always use the Optional Buttons -- this is very nice for programming
* I always use Annotation Panes, but this is perhaps an advanced user
feature.
* I'm wondering if soundsEnabled should be false.  I recall that many, many
people have had problems with this on Unix...
* Although I would *like* to use the pretty print option, I refuse to turn
it on, because it can change your code.  If I want to indicate that a nil is
returned by a block then so be it -- don't go tossing out my nil because
blocks return nil by default!  New Smalltalkers don't know this.  I wish
someone would implement a colored code feature that does not auto-format...

* It might be nice to have a "Performance" list in the preferences panel --
this would be a list of all options that are known to dramatically reduce
performance.  This will make tuning easier for newbies.

Cheers,

---==> Chris

PS>  I started to change the world menu to use expanding menus (rather than
...), but after an hour of tweaking, I found that I was changing a *lot* of
code, because we use the same code to support MVC.  I think that the menu
code should be *extensively* refactored so that text can be all be
externalized (i.e. translated to other languages) and so that we can
optionally have expanding menus on platforms that don't have teensy-tiny
screens.