Swiki pollution...

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Fri Aug 23 16:36:16 UTC 2002

Thanks Mark --

At 8:28 AM -0400 8/23/02, Mark Guzdial wrote:
>On Friday, August 23, 2002, at 05:02  AM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>>Ok guys, what are we going to do with all the "pollution" on the Swiki?
>>
>>And now I am NOT talking about MP3 uploads etc - that is actually a
>>rather harmless problem, I am talking about clueless people using it for
>>completely other things than Squeak:
>>
>>http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2583
>>
>>(This one I sortof stumbled over because of the name...)
>>
>If you only stumbled across it, is it really such a problem?  If
>people put up things related to Squeak, or decide to try out the
>Swiki in the Squeak Swiki, is that a big deal?
>
>The MP3's are a problem because they eat bandwidth and slow down the
>server.  A few K of text and graphics bothers me less.
>
>That said, a Swiki deeply integrated with Squeak would be wonderful
>-- we've made a few passes at it (MuSwiki, ProjectWeb).  It's hard
>to balance usability, bandwidth, and transparency, but it would be
>terrific if we could get it right.

Yes, I really agree. It would be great if we could save projects
(perhaps incrementally) in near the time frame of a text page. Then
the full power of authoring could be used in swiki fashion. I think
this is a really important problem for squeakers to try to solve.
E.g. Microsoft Word (going all the way back to Bravo at PARC) has
always been good at incremental saves. There might be a much better
way to think of the storage form of a project than just a "bag full
of objects that have been textified".

Cheers,

Alan