Another SAR/DVS feature request

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Thu Dec 5 17:16:29 UTC 2002

I think this is a good one:

Have the ability to install from a directory as if it were a SAR.  The
method would be something like SARInstaller
class>>installFromDirectory:...you could then add a UI in the FileList
for doing the same.

The reason I want this feature, is that I'm finding that I have a lot of
DVS packages that need to be delivered as a SAR because they also need
to change some aspects of the base system (i.e., they need stuff in the
preamble or postscript).  It would be nice to have a DVS fileout go
directly into the directory from which I create my SAR, and to be able
to easily load into another image without needing to build the SAR (i.e.
zip it up).  Just point at the directory and install it as if it were a
SAR.  As an added bonus, it would be nice if the installation would set
the DVS package path correctly.

- Stephen