TextMorph events

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sun Feb 3 00:32:33 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Gary McGovern wrote:

> Thanks Bijan,
> Using a transparent button might be a good idea in some places, but I'm generally quite
> happy with overriding the textmorph methods.

Yep.

> As for the using the command key actions, I can't see how they can be used in an object
> model.

Here's one:
	Clipboard clipboardText:
		(Text string: 'This is a link!'
		      attribute: (TextDoIt evalString: 'Smalltalk beep'))

Paste the result. It will beep when you click on it. You can include
fairly arbitrary code in the TextDoIt.

To get a URL like, the attribute incantation is:
	TextURL new url: 'http://www.squeak.org/'

> But, in windows, alt 6 changes the colour,

On my windows, in a 3.2gamma, alt-6 gives me a menu, the first half of
which are colors, the second half are for the various TextActions.

>alt d opens the browser in "TextMorph
> browse", but couldn't find the equivalent to Ned's example where he
> changed it to "Click me". That wouldn't work.

Look at the class comment for TextAttribute for more hints.

Hope this helps. It won't have *quite* the same behavior as overriding the
events, but it will be consistent with the rest of the system.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.