Reading/writing JPEG comments

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 4 22:02:54 UTC 2002

Hi,

I was browsing through the new JPEG code, and didn't immediately see a
way to embed comments or other arbitrary data within a JPEG.  I believe
that the standard supports this; before I dig deeper, I hope someone
can give me a quick answer.

The reason I want to do this is to embed a serialized and compressed
morph (such as you'd find in a .morph.gz file) inside a JPEG that
looks like the morph.  My goal is to integrate a simple drawing tool
into a Swiki that can edit a compound morph, and then generate a
JPEG to be displayed in an HTML page.  If someone want to re-edit
the JPEG, the morph stored in the "arbitrary data area" is opened
in the browser plugin.

Thanks,
Joshua