Learning Squeak (was: Porting Squeak)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Jan 15 13:13:51 UTC 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Gary Fisher wrote:
[snip]
> But if I may widen the "Learning Squeak" field a tad, can anyone here
> comment on Korienek, Wrensch and Dechow's "Squeak -- A Quick Trip to
> Objectland?"

Just got it. I've got reasonable hopes for it.

>  I'm looking for something suitable for students at the middle-
[snip]

My initial glance makes me think it would be fine for them. Some, likely,
will hate the style. But from what I can tell, it starts at the rock
bottom and moves on.

Oh, how I wish *A Taste of Smalltalk* were available again. However, I
just got my very own copy from Powells (yay!). It's a great model for,
from scratch, Smalltalk tutorials, IMHO. Although it does start with
non-OO approaches and languages, so perhaps not all of it is relevant to
complete programming beginners.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.