Unix: update #4640 crash. Also,VMMaker problem.

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 24 02:57:32 UTC 2002

Steve Swerling <sps2000 at mail.com> is widely believed to have written:

>  1. Start up the 4599 image.
(I'll assume you mean an image with the largefiles stuff as well?)
>  2. Load in VMMaker 3.2 v4.1
>  3. In VMMakerTool, drop the DeflatePlugin into the internal column,
> then click generate internal.
If you do that I would expect to see the error message telling you that
the internal plugin cannot be built; you won't have generated the core
vm and therefore the exports file will not be safely generable.

Note that I understand that you may well have previously created a
perfectly acceptable exports files that is sitting there, large as life,
on your disk; until and unless I get to write some code (or _you_ do!)
that looks for such a file and parses it, the only feasible check I can
do is see if the current incarnation of the VMMaker has got its exports
list in suitable state. The above process does not pass that test.

Testing on my linux machine, that is exactly what happens.

If you then generate with everything external, then
a) you will not need the exports file for any of the plugins
b) the core vm will have been built anyway!

I've also just generated with all(*) plugins internal with no problem.

tim

* remembering that linux does not support all the possible plugins, for
example security and midi
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.