Any newer TGen?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Jul 26 19:39:05 UTC 2002

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Ned Konz wrote:

> I'm looking at the May 2001 version of the TGen parser generator that
> Bijan did. Are there any newer versions of this around?

I haven't touched it in ages, though I was going to use it soon so I
actually have a copy of it on my disk :)

> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1419 is where I got this one.
>
> I noticed that Mark's using TGen in his class, but the version he has
> in the tgen.zip file is older than Bijan's:
>
> http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/cs2340/2280
>
> (I had to really hunt around to find an unzip program that could deal
> with Shrunk archive members, by the way; most Zlib-derived zip
> programs don't. The zip should probably be written out using one of
> the Info-Zip progams to avoid this problem.)

er..Don't know what's up with that.

> I noticed, though, that Bijan's omits a few things that should be
> there (like class ListNode).

Really? Hmm. I just modified the FourthEstate code to make bits of the UI
work a bit better, IIRC.

> There are still some things in the TGen UI that don't work, and the
> tests don't run programmatically (though some run manually).

Yes, that's what I recall. I got it working well enough to work for me and
then stopped :)

If one were going to revive it, it might pay to look at the Dolphin Port
which did a pretty nice job of keeping the development and deployment bits
separate.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.