Another Swiki defence idea: better tools

Daniel Joyce daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 29 08:51:23 UTC 2002

> I can't resist adding to the traffic by saying that rollback button +
> T cell is by _far_ the best suggestion I've seen yet in this
> discussion.  1 rollback => 1 new T cell against whoever made the
> previous change to the page.  > N T cells and the invader is
> neutralised (neutered? ;) from making further changes.
>
> It's trivial, it's distributed, it's collaborative, it's shared
> responsibility and it's biology at its best in action live on your
> local swiki.
>
> (Now, how many T cells would it take to actually *destroy* the
> invader?  ;-)
>
> Ian

But then, what if our attacker uses the 'rollback' button and rolls the
frontpage out of existance, to version 0 or 1? What if he finds a page
with a few revisions, and rolls them back out of existance?

Or what if he simply bombs the page with LOTS of updates ( say a perl
script on his PC could do it ), and you find yourself having to try and
find revision #foo ( the last sane one ) out of 20,000... Could the
swiki even properly show 20k revisions so you could find the last sane
one to rollback to?

I think the PGP / Key technique is best.

-Daniel