Layers a la PIE/Us

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Mon Mar 11 10:09:10 UTC 2002

Anthony

Thank you for your interesting write-up. Would it be possible to add a
section where you contrast the layers you are talking about with the image
segments currently implemented in Squeak. Which features do remain
unchanged which features are new?

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2316

A point which I see immediately is that a layer like you propose knows its
prerequisite layer while an image segment does not.

It would as well be nice to see how this goes with the work Henrik
Gedenryd is doing at the moment. As far as I understand are the modules he
is doing are class categories (UML sense) given real value.
The focus is on code loading and unloading.
Your thoughts seem to be at the more concerned with loading object instances
in a database sense as well.

I do not see how this relates yet besides that you are working more on an
binary / object pointer level.

Thank you for the analysis work you are doing and for communicating your
ideas.

Regards
Hannes Hirzel