Squeak, MP3 and ID3

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri May 3 23:40:15 UTC 2002

>I want to try and debug this, but it appears that I'm going to have
>to learn a heck of a lot more about the nuts and bolts of Squeak
>first.  Is the dll/so/(whatever macs use) compiled from the c source
>or is it somehow translated to slang and compiled that way?  It
>would seem the latter is the case, but it's hard to tell, having
>only really used squeak for a few days.
>
>I'm thinking I'll first compile and test the latest libmpeg3 and see
>if it can handle the tags.  If not, I'll see if I can work with the
>guy at Heroine Virtual to get it patched.  If so, how difficult
>would it be to update the Squeak plugin with the latest version of
>libmpeg3?  Just trying to get an idea of what I'm in for.
>
>Thanks for all your help, John and everyone.

Well the mp3 source code is just plain old C code. It has a wrapper
the plugin interface, which really just gets objects out of Squeaks
OOPs space, and takes C objects and stuffs them back into Squeak's
OOPs space. Since the code was build as a library all that was really
done was to use SLANG plugin logic to build wrappers for each public
interface in the libarary. Plus a smallish file changesForSqueak.c
which contains various functions like memory allocation to make it
viable on the macintosh/windows versus unix which was the original
target platform.