newbie needs help

Göran Hultgren goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Sun May 19 19:00:18 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Quoting Rob Whitfield <rob at customfun.com>:
> First, a sincere thanks for you advice Göran!!!

Hey, no problem. I am a sucker for "newbie" postings - just feels good to help!

> I am developing a solution that needs to run on NT, Mac OS 9, Mac OS X
> and
> a few flavors of Unix.  This is what attracted me to squeak - there is
> really no cross-platform that has squeak's advantages.  Java has too
> much
> baggage.  Cross platform GUI tools like XVT require a lot more
> bookkeeping
> since the app has to be built in the native environments.
>
> I have a few specific questions.
>
> 1) How did you remove the flaps and windows so that your app could come
> up
> without all the other squeak stuff?  You mentioned that this could be
> done
> programmatically as well.  Is this documented somewhere?

Well, the manual way is to just close all windows you see and then in the menu
choose "flaps...>>destroy global flaps". And then of course you save the image.

So the simplest form of packaging would be to do the above but leave your
application window up and then just save the image. When it comes back up it
will be exactly where you left it.

(but the image would still be pretty big and the sources/changes files are still
needed)

I can post my little "packaging procedure" next week. Just say please. :-)

> 2) Does the swiki server support multi-part form data so that files can
> be
> uploaded?

Yep. Uploading is there, and has been there for quite a while.

> 3) Does swiki support some notion of session variables so that multiple
>
> sessions can be kept track of?

Well, no, Swiki doesn't use sessions. The latest Comanche has session support
though (using cookies) and I use it on SqueakDot and also in our own app.

And internally on Bluefish we use a hacked/improved version of Swiki which uses
this sessionsupport.

regards, Göran

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek