B3DAcceleratorPlugin on Linux compile problems

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Fri Nov 22 05:39:39 UTC 2002

Hi Ned,

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Ned Konz wrote:

> Using the Squeak-3.2-5 stuff from Ian's site (and 3.4a), I tried to do
> a build with all internal modules, and got this:
>
> B3DAcceleratorPlugin/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.a(B3DAcceleratorPlugin.o):
> In function `primitiveCreateRendererFlags':
> /home/ned/Squeak/Squeak-3.2-5/src/vm/intplugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.c:284:
> undefined reference to `b3dxCreateRendererFlags'

Strange.  My version doesn't mention b3dxCreateRendererFlags anywhere near
line 284.

The above is a macro defined by B3DAccelPlugin.h.  The most likely cause
of the problem is that the 3.2-5 version of this header is out of sync
with something generated from the image when you reconfigured B3D as
internal and regenerated it.  (I won't dig up the reference to my message
of N years ago in which I pointed out the problems with the [at the time
still proposed] VMM scheme of configuring plugins as internal vs. external
at generation time, as opposed to arranging for the differences to be
accounted for at compile time. ;)  I'm looking into it now.  I'll get back
to you.

> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a(glxext.o): In function
> `__glXGetCurrentContext':
> glxext.o(.text+0x1a): undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
[...etc...]

This is also odd...

  emilia$ nm /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a | fgrep pthread
  emilia$

i.e., there are no references to any pthread functions at all in my
(XFree86 4.2.1.1) libGL.

> Suggestions welcome.

What kind of Unix are you using?  If I have access to something similar
then I'll try building a completely internal VM on it later today to see
if I can reproduce the problem.

Regards,
Ian