Envy or Store or what?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Oct 28 20:38:40 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> said:
>> What's the best approach for similar functionality for Squeak?
>
>Probably DVS (available from SqueakMap) with an external CVS or other=20
>source code management program, and perhaps CVST as an interface with=20
>the CVS server.

With all respect to the guys behind DVS and CVST: I think it's a dead end. I
have been using CVS ever since it was a bunch of shellscripts around RCS (look
that up in the history of computing ;-)), and while it's sort of OK, compared
to "the real thing" like StORE it has some very serious shortcomings which
makes it unsuitable as the basis for a nice, friendly versioning system for
a Smalltalk environment. The most serious thing missing is lack of metadata
versioning, working around is probably just as hard as building something
new on top of a decent versioning system.

Smalltalk, and Squeak in particular, is about doing The Right Thing. CVS is,
IMNSHO, a crutch that is absolutely necessary at the moment to have something,
but definitely not The Right Thing.

Reinventing wheels is maybe not the right thing either. Cincom pulled off a
great job with StORE, and it's a great piece of code, but I don't think it's
something we should reproduce. Maybe talking to a WebDAV server?

Freshmeat has a lot of stuff: http://freshmeat.net/browse/52/?topic_id=52 -
I'm going to browse and see whether there is something cool between all the
chaff...

(so, here I go again. Talking about what should be done while knowing that I
don't have the time to do it or even help out. My apologies, I hope you can
live with that bad habit of mine...)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo