[ENH] Image Browser: for browsing code in the other .image file

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Oct 30 00:23:20 UTC 2002

  Hello,

  Are you getting tired to create unnecessary file outs when all you
want to do is to take a look at the code in another image and to see
the diffs?  Here is what you can do.

  * File in the attachment,
  * Open a FileList,
  * Select a .image file and choose 'browse in ImageBrowser' from the FileList menu,
  * Open the menu at the class pane of the ImageBrowser,
  * Choose 'add classes to list' and type the name of classes yo want to see.

  From a help from InterpreterSimulator, the ImageBrowser reads the
source pointers stored in the CompiledMethods in the image file, and
get the code from its accompanying .change file.  (All file operations
are done in 'read only mode'.  So, don't worry about breaking your
image file.)

  The convenient functions inherited from FileContentsBrowser, such as
'remove unmodified categories' are there, too.

  ImageBrowser works for M17n images as well.

  I happened to notice the recent discussion about 'Diff between two
change sets'.  This ImageBrowser helps you to get diff between two
images:-) Hooking up the internal machinary of this one with Bob's
Comparison Browser would be interesting, (although I couldn't find an
image to test it.)

  Let me know any suggestions and comments,

-- Yoshiki

P.S.
  My email address has changed.