SqueakMap Package Loader

Göran Hultgren squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 24 21:03:30 UTC 2002

Hi Daniel!

Ok, some usability issues I would like you to look at:

1. Could you use checkbox menu items for the filters? Right now even I get
confused when clicking around in the filters...

2. It could be nice to be able to list "installed packages" also.

3. When the package loader fires up for the first time it is confusing if it
doesn't show any packages...

4. Could you make it update itself after a net update? I think SqueakMap Browser
does that so it couldn't be too hard.

5. This is an "extra" but it would be cool if installed packages could be made
"bold" or something - the versionLabel thing doesn't stand out that much.

(I also sent you an email about the different package states and what they
should mean - but I think that can wait for the next release of SM , SMLoader
and SMBrowser.)

Quoting danielv at netvision.net.il:
[SNIP]
> However, I think it's much more important that this Loader be usable
> and
> simple than that it have lots of features.

True, we can always stuff all the funky features into SqueakMap Browser instead
and let that tool turn into the "dselect of Squeak" :-) (internal Debian joke).

And of course - SM Package Loader is loaded directly from the map when SqueakMap
RC1 is loaded into the image (using a postscript). This means that there is no
"deadline" for SM Loader.

regards, Göran

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek