Which mac VM (was RE: String>>hash performance)

John M McIntosh squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Sep 5 16:11:05 UTC 2002

In theory the VM used when double-clicking on an image or a change set
is a result of how the mac determines which application to use when
there are duplicates at the signature level. 'FAST' is the signature
used by Squeak.

In general the application used must have the largest version number,
an internally assigned number that I typically increment for each VM
distributed. In case of version number duplication then the application
with the latest creation date is used, if duplication then it's usually
the one you've last moved within the finder.  Ah, os-x might have some
different opinions here.  Now in the 3.0.x series of VM there was some
VM distributed that have version numbers out of sequence, so if you've
got lots of them about then it's possible an older VM might launch
because of a mistake on my part, although I think if you have a 3.2.x
VM this shouldn't be a problem. For example double-clicking on an image
on my powerbook launches a beta test VM I compiled yesterday, on
another office machine of mine used for testing which contains 37 some
VM of various forms (many not distributed to the public) causes 3.2.8b5
to run because that's the latest.

If you have plugins you should also ensure the plugins you are using
are what you expect. Check with the file server to see if you've the
latest for your VM and you aren't using a plugin that is now builtin or
obsolete.

To ensure that you get the VM you expect to run you could use Sherlock
and find all applications of type FAST

IE do a custom search for file type is APPL and creator is 'FAST'

Then delete the ones you don't want to use. In general older images
should work with 3.2.8b5, if not there should be a problem we should
fix. As noted people who collect VMs for a living seem to do the drag
and drop invocations just to be sure what they run is what they expect.

On Thursday, September 5, 2002, at 03:19  AM, Bob Arning wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 12:43:18 +1200 (NZST) "Richard A. O'Keefe"
> <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>> What should I do so that clicking on a (2.8,3.0,3.2) .image or
>> .changes
>> file will start a (2.8,3.0,3.2) VM?  Or should I care?  Will the 3.2
>> VM
>> handle all of them?  How then do I make MacOS use the 3.2 VM?
>
> I would try the newest VM you have and only revert to an older one if
> you experience a problem.

===