Two new development lists.

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Apr 16 16:49:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 21:21, Alan Grimes wrote:
> While this is indeed a great list, it tends to receive an immense
> ammount of trafic, I tend to delete roughly 75% of it without reading..

If you use a tag for your topics, I can setup corresponding 'topics' in
Mailman and you can subscribe to just the topics you want. Or, even
without Mailman support, you can filter these messages in a separate
folder with your MUA. I think that's a much better approach than setting
up separate lists.

Also, the usual practice is to keep traffic on the same list and only
split off after debate on the list has proven that the traffic about the
'niche' topic is high and the general interest low.

I'm interested in these topics, but Yahoo blocked my account without
warning earlier this year, so even if I could be bothered to subscribe
to your lists (which I'm hesitant to do), I'm not going to bother
getting Yahoo to reinstate my account.

Personally, I think a 'high security' Squeak is interesting to lots of
people; we setup a Squeak-E list for it earlier (which was on a separate
list for entirely different reasons, namely to make it easier for people
from the E side of things to participate) so there you alread have a
list that has most Squeakers that are interested in security on its
roster (and then some).

A 'high performance' Squeak, as in being able to make use of SMP
etcetera, is probably an issue that will be of at least 'lurking'
interest to most of the VM-involved Squeakers and lots of Squeakers that
are just curious (personally, I couldn't care less about SMP - it's
easier in todays appserver world to just fire up another image and load
balance - but an SMP-enabled Squeak might serve well as another cleaning
vehicle, because race conditions tend to surface quickly when you throw
multiple CPU's at a problem ;-)). In the light of remarks today on
comp.lang.smalltalk (Eliot on Squeak's lack of non-blocking FFI,
something that can be solved with thread pooling which in turn
necessitates a MT-clean VM) I think it is a topic that is very much in
place on the squeak-dev list.

Just my two eurocents :-)