3.6 Full release testing (was Re: [BUG]? Upgrade to full image

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Wed Aug 20 12:13:48 UTC 2003

Hi Göran,

>I agree with Michael, there is no change in practice I think. If a
>package isn't being used then it isn't being tested - regardless if it
>is in the image or not.

And if it is not in the image, it is not being used and so it will not
get tested. That would be a big change in practice.

The Full-stream would give us a cheap testing-setup by giving as many
people as possible the chance to play around with Full _before_ the
release, even if we can't test everything 100%.

>> > - Will packages that are not part of the Base image also have some
>> >   kind of update stream, or will they only be replaced in toto on
>> >   SqueakMap?
>>
>> That is very much up in the air right now, part of the reason for
>> the many messages that have been flying around.
>
>Yes, this is in the air. I assume you mean the official Squeak
>packages (currently the famous 9) and not *all* packages on SM. I
>also assume that we will decide on a common strategy for these
>packages. But we haven't done so yet. Andreas has made a hack
>available for setting up updatestreams per packages that works with
>SM1. SM2 will include some fields for this.
>
>But perhaps we will instead choose to use Monticello for these
>packages and not "stream of a bunch of ChangeSets" at all.

Think of shrinking and converting Basic more and more to Full-packages.
Then more and more development will take place in the Full-packages.

Again I must say we should either have a real update stream for Full
( including the Full-package-updates ) or a combination of image- and
package-update streams. Or something else, but in the end the updating
should be incremental and automated. To download and override complete
packages is too clumsy.

Regards
Martin