[GOODIE] OggPlugin

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 25 14:30:04 UTC 2003

"Russell Penney" <russell.penney at tincanct.com> wrote:
> Any comments welcome, as I said before the sound system is a little
> baffling (it didn't work with a stereo SoundBuffer but does work with 2
> nono SoundBuffers through a MixedSound)

Ahhh, I was wondering what you found confusing.  Please glance at the
class comment for SoundPlugin and see if that helps.  In particular,
note that for playing monaural audio the internal format still uses
16-bit samples, but every other sample is ignored.

Clearly there could be some better cross-linkage of comments; at the
least the SoundBuffer comment should link to the SoundPlugin comment.

Lex

---- SoundPlugin comment ----
This plugin implements the main sound related primiives.  Since it
requires platform support it will only be built when supported on your
platform

FORMAT OF SOUND DATA

Squeak uses 16-bit signed samples encoded in the host's endian order.  A
sound buffer is a sequence of "frames", or "slices", where each frame
usually includes one sample per channel.  The exception is that for
playback, each frame always includes 2 samples; for monaural playback,
every other sample is ignored.