About 3.7

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Dec 6 12:07:59 UTC 2003

Hi Yoshiki

>   What I would like Doug and Guides to do is to freeze the update for
> a moment so that I can make a compatible version with the latest
> alpha.  Otherwise, every little conflict beats me and it would never
> get merged.

My point of view is the following:
Ok we should do the same as with babel. Decide when we want to introduce
m17n, give it more priority, commit it and check.

Now other people should agree on that.

So the most important point is when do you have the time to do that
because
we may have problems once it gets in and then having you available
could be important.

>   And, please do use the latest m17n package even if you don't need
> any of extended characters.  The change is supposed to be more or less
> transparent for the 7-bit character set users.  For 8-bit users, it
> isn't exactly...

What is the size of the changes?
Can other people review it? Diego? Andreas? Doug? Marcus?

>   The reasonable fix is to provide new file name extension for new
> format of change sets and file outs.  I once asked people what would
> be a good ones but got no response.  Probably people don't care so I
> may just go ahead and use '.mcs' and '.mst'.  (But .mc? remind of
> monticello stuff so I should avoid them? Or it is good because we can
> say that new family of externalized Squeak code use ".m??")
>
>   It is clear that this won't be completed forever like as the Squeak
> itself.  I always have things to fix and add.  But probably it is a
> good time to get more hands to attack those problems.
>
> -- Yoshiki
>
>   The major three items are:
>
>   * Unicode composition/decomposition.
>   * FileNameInterpreter
>   * R2L (For Hebrew first, and it should be the basis for Arabic.)

I'm really ignorant on language and font problems so expert analysis is
required.

stef