Re-doing Morphic ( Was: Re: Traits prototype image )

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 11 16:02:55 UTC 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 03:45:45PM +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:
> That's it. 5 methods all in all. With a morph that does the above you are
> completely free to build any environment you want. You will get the events
> from morphic and can dispatch appropriately. You can draw onto your own
> "display" and do whatever you want in terms of graphics. If you want to
> introduce stepping semantics you may also want to add #wantsSteps, #step,
> and #stepTime and pass the step into your own environment.

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me think refactoring
or even rewriting a clean version of some core classes is entirely
possible.  Morph was NOT always so simple, I'm pretty sure.  Was
there always a single handleEvent?  That happened through
refactoring.

I don't understand any of the massive philosophical debates going
around.  Morphic has been developed with an exploratory style, and it's
entirely normal to shift into a cleanup phase now that things are
better understood.  Let's just get on with it!

I will reply to one bit of philosophy that came up.  It doesn't matter
if application writers follow the rules of the framework.  We just need
to make sure the library itself follows them.  It doesn't matter
whether TetrisMorph is entirely kosher -- it just needs to work.

Lex