The Magic Book - a design draft

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com
Tue Feb 11 18:50:29 UTC 2003

>- Projects: A very good format for "active content". I am not sure how
>easily they are backwardscompatible though. Could anyone post some
>insight in that matter?

I started once with an HTML documentation - it's to static and
far away from active content.
(http://www.phaidros.com/DIGITALIS/englisch/sqk/sqk00002.htm)

What about Squeak Books: We already had an attempt to document the
system with them. Look at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeakpages/4

Projects are a nice medium for documenting too. Look at next
attempt on documenting the system ("Squeak - or how the mouse roars")
http://209.143.91.36/super/328 gives an overview and

http://209.143.91.36/super/uploads/HTMR%20-%20Intro.013.pr is the
entry point to it.
It was done with projects and unfortunately it was easily broken with
the next squeak version after the authoring version. The nice thing
is that people are able to run it in a webbrowser without having
to install squeak.

If we want to use projects we need to write tests if they run in
newer versions too or keep them up to date.

>So... we already have a bunch of cool technology to implement the Magic
>Book IMHO. We just need to knit it all together in a smart way.

We had this technology before - but no one cared about writing
tutorials with Squeak itself or writing tutorials with a reusable
and common style anyway or updating them. Maybe we can change this
with a more accessible SqueakMap and a predefined environment (StarBrowser,
...) in the future.

Bye
Torsten