Adding methods in the Debugger

Adam Spitz adspitz at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 13 06:16:12 UTC 2003

Ned Konz wrote:

> One strategy that might work is to have
> doesNotUnderstand: quickly write a method
> that just does a halt, and then call
> the new method.
>
> This will land you in a Debugger where you
> can then edit the code and resume.

That's the right stub-method-creation code, but we
don't want it in #doesNotUnderstand: - we want it
hooked up to a fourth button on the PreDebugWindow.
(This fourth button would only be present for
PreDebugWindows created by MNU exceptions.)

I remember doing something like this pretty easily in
Dolphin a few years ago; I tried to do it just now for
Squeak, but I got stuck trying to write the
Debugger>>createStub method. It was hard because the
Debugger does not (as far as I can tell) have easy
access to the MessageNotUnderstood exception object -
all it has is the textual description of that object.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Is there a reliable way for a
Debugger object to get access to the Exception object
that caused it to be created?

Adam Spitz