Need your cooperation for a StarBrowser paper...

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Mon Feb 17 08:30:08 UTC 2003

Hello Roel

First thank you for your porting effort of StarBrowser to Squeak.

Roel Wuyts <roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hello people,
> A while ago I released the StarBrowser. If you don't know it yet, then
> the questions in this mail are not for you, but I invite you then to
> have a look at the browser for VisualWorks or Squeak (
> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/StarBrowser/index.html ) :-)
>
> If you ever played with the StarBrowser and you can spare a couple of
> minutes, then I need your help.
[snip]

>So feedback especially
> regarding these aspects is welcome, but also any other thing you might
> think of.

10 days ago I began re-using Squeak because of an application I had
written a long time ago. I have'nt used Squeak for months. I found out
about SqueakMap updated my old 'production image' to Squeak 3.5alpha
openend the SqueakMap browser and loaded StarBrowser  actually as the
first application I got from SqueakMap.

The StarBrowser in combination with the indenting / outdenting
MessageTrace help me to find out about the important points (entry
points) in my SqueakApp.

I like the idea of browsing code like in a web browser where I have the
possibility to put favourites. Before I had cluttered my whole screen
with a lot of system browsers, inspectors, workspaces, file lists etc.

StarBrowser reduces the cognitive workload as it avoids cluttering the
screen.

I really enjoy this  classification idea.  It may be simple from a CS
point of view but from a User perspective it is something very
important.

Another thing I did was that I began really using SUnit. I do not know
yet the procedures of using these tools in a combined way.

Regards
Hannes Hirzel