WindowsCE Machine Development

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed Jan 22 22:59:34 UTC 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Just4Fun wrote:

> I've looked at the recommended site for WindowsCE machines. There is no
> information or image file for these small devices. I would really like
> to figure out how to get started with Squeak on my Jornada 720. Is there
> anyone who is using Squeak for development on the handheld platform who
> also reads this forum?

Yup, a bunch of us.  I'm even using a J720 myself.  I do a fair amount of
coding on my Jornada directly.  I'm always whipping it out and writing a
bit of code waiting for class to start. :)

> My initial question is how do I create/find an image file that will work
> on a handheld device. Or even, how do I create a program on the PC and
> get it to run on a handheld device?

On the Jornada 720, any stock image works pretty well.  I've used the
standard images (available at ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/ )
for image versions between 2.6 and 3.2. I had no problems loading the
regular 3.2 image and doing work in it.  Granted, I have a flash card, and
don't have files and data stored in the J720's 32 MB of RAM, so a lot of
it was free to use as program memory.

There are some images tailored for PDAs in varying ways, including:

Dynapad, my pet project.  The URL is < http://dynapad.swiki.net >.  It
aims to be a complete operating environment especially for PDAs, but with
useful code for the desktop as well. It has a bunch of characters loaded
in CharRecog (the older and simple and instantly fast stroke recognizer)
and other stuff to make it good for small screens.  However, it's far from
done and in a lot of ways is just a tailored version of Squeak 2.8.  It
has some handy things like window management that makes more sense on a
PDA and other nicities. But unlike a majorShrink'd image or the two below,
it includes a bunch of apps, including: Calculator, simple function
plotter, Scamper web browser, Celeste email, a modified class browser, IRC
client. It pretty small, 5 MB or so.  I am actively working on this
project, but haven't released a new image for a long time.  Keep your eye
out for something in the coming weeks though. (I've said that a few times
before though! :/) I've been developing it largely on a Jornada 720
myself, so I plan on adding better keyboard support and different window
management policies for the bigger screen.  The most current release on
the Dynapad Swiki is based on Squeak 2.8, which lends a bit of speed over
3.0 or 3.2 images.

TinySqueak by Kevin Fisher < http://www.reasonability.net/ipaq/ > is a
3.0 image which has had stuff removed to make a smaller image.  It has
Genie (the newer, cooler stroke/character recognizer) enabled by default
with a useful stroke dictionary loaded.

Yoshiki Oshima used to have a small 2.4 or 2.6-based image called
Morphic.image that was only a couple meg in size but still included the
dev tools and the Morphic GUI system.  You can find that at:
< http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/Morphic.zip >. It's pretty
barebones, but if you don't want all the latest and greatest, it's really
fast, even in Morphic.

The only thing you must know about if you are going to use a stock image
is that WinCE's file system works a little bit different than in desktop
Windows versions, but it identifies itself to Squeak as Win32, which
causes some confusion when Squeak tries to use the native file system for
is a bad thing. To remedy this, you need to load a fix on another machine,
most likely a desktop. You can get this changeset here:

http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/1177.html

I've found this fix works in every image I've tried it in- version 2.6 to
3.2.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"the only difference it makes if some dust on the clay"  :: atmosphere