Squeak Install Instructions

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Jul 10 15:19:48 UTC 2003

Am Donnerstag, 10.07.03 um 16:13 Uhr schrieb Dennis Daniels:

> Squeak hasn't been anywhere as easy to install as I had hoped. Two
> hours later, still not a squeak out of the install. I'm no expert with
> Linux, though I've been using it as my OS (RH) for about a year now...
> Chalk it up to user error, sure. But, Squeak should be as easy as
>
> apt-get install squeak
>
> should be easy if teachers are going to be using it.

Squeak's current license conflicts with Debian, that's why there is no
official Debian package. Besides, we would need a maintainer for the
debs. But you are right, and it is the same situation with RedHat RPMs,
unfortunately.

> I was really surprised to find outdated rpms and no repository
> (apt-get). Mr Kay's presentation was aimed at teachers but I got the
> feeling, after looking at the install options, Squeak is for teachers
> who are using MS.

Not at all, but most teachers indeed are MS users, just like the rest
of the population. Either this, or they have Macintoshes.

> I'll take a look at the 'new' instructions. Maybe I'll get it going
> this time...</end whine>

Did you try the official instructions first?

	http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/download.html

Of course, this is for the regular Squeak distribution, not for the one
aimed at teachers. Maybe the instructions at Squeakland are too terse?

	http://squeakland.org/plugin/installers/ux.html

-- Bert