Anyone done GIS/charting with Squeak?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Jul 15 00:40:24 UTC 2003

Hi folks,

We're thinking about building a marine navigational system in Squeak
for the Microship project <http://www.microship.com>. Squeak will
already be doing a lot of other things (including talking to a GPS)
so it makes sense to have it do charts as well.

There are a number of free charts available in a vector form called
IHO S-57. We'd like to use them if possible.

http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/index.htm
http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/resource.htm

However, before starting to do something like this ourselves (Steve's
not too sure that this would be a good first Squeak project), it
makes sense to ask whether anyone else has done this in Squeak or
another Smalltalk. There is some open source code in another language
that we can look at if necessary.

So: has anyone out there done any mapping/GIS/charting applications
using Squeak? Might you be willing to share your code?

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com