[VM][LINUX][DEBIAN] Building

Alexander Lazarević lazarevi at cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sat Jun 7 10:28:48 UTC 2003

Am Samstag, 7. Juni 2003 10:39 schrieb Bert Freudenberg:
> But does 3.4 work? We should make sure that the stable release works
> first.

I haven't checked that yet, but I guess I will step back to 3.4 on linux to
have there the same sourcebase I have on the dark side of my machine (XP).

What I didn't mention was, that I was able to build a running 3.5 vm on linux
using gcc 2.95 instead.

> > Besides, compiling a vm on windows with the source and wintool
> > archives from
> > sourceforge happens like advertised. It's magic. :)
>
> Cheers to Andreas for that!

Sure thing, but I should have said, that this is an all inclusive, tailored
environment (contains gcc2.95, dx7sdk includes, mingw32, gnutools, platform
and VMMaker sources, ...) and a hand made Makefile for building a 3.4 vm.
There is no autoconf/automake frenzy involved. This one could be compared
with the building environment assembled for debian by Marcus.
So it was a _bit_ unfair to implicitly compare a generic, all purpose building
environment for all unix flavours to a very specialized one.

Nethertheless it is fun to just download two zip-archives for windows and
compile a vm just like that [snip]. A nice bonus is, that with the emacs I
installed before and the gcc I'm now able to write my own small windows apps!
That's a strange feeling. :)

Alex