[VM][LINUX][DEBIAN] Building

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 9 12:55:46 UTC 2003

If you want a Debian package, then you are best off downloading the
Debian source package from st.cs.uiuc.edu.  This gives you a VM labeled
"3.2", but this is plenty new enough for most purposes.  I had forgetten
there was still a "debian" directory on SourceForge.  That directory is
historic at this point, as you've observed.

	"Download for Unix"
	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/298

I have been seriously sidetracked from updating the Debian packages for
various reasons.  In particular, I lost a lot of time fiddling with
Ian's 3.5 release.  It builds fine (after some tweaking) but it crashes
on at least some image versions.  I get crashes no matter whether I use
gcc 2.95 or 3.x .

I am having success with the 3.4  VM release, however, so now I plan to
simply use that and try to get all the packages updated.  It's mostly
done, but I spent my limited open source time of the last week working
on Celeste instead of the Debian packages.

If you or someone else wants to maintain the Debian packages that would
be fine with me.  I want to at least get the next update posted, but
after that it would be fine.

Lex