SharedStreams (was: [BUG][FIX] SharedQueue flushing (a plea for consideration))

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Jun 12 21:56:49 UTC 2003

Stephen Pair <stephen at pairhome.net> wrote:
> While we're talking about SharedQueue...I'd like to take this
> opportunity to remind everyone of the SharedStreams package on
> SqueakMap.  I would actually like to see SharedQueue deprecated in favor
> of SharedBufferStream.  SharedBufferStream offers better compatibility
> with the Stream protocols and offers all the functionality (and then
> some) of SharedQueue.  The SharedStreams package also contains a
> SharedBidirectionalStream which can act like a SocketStream (without
> actually using a socket) except that you are not limited to only using
> Character objects in the stream.
>
> - Stephen

What can I say? I am flattered. :-)

But it's true I guess - we did model SharedBufferStream inspired by the
implementation of SharedQueue but optimized for streams of characters
(much, much faster than relying on a SharedQueue of Character objects).

And then Stephen has played with them recently and discovered that they
can easily be used with objects too. Only one method needed change I
think. And IIRC these classes are more robust than SharedQueue (it had a
couple of sneaky bugs).

regards, Göran