[Squeakfoundation]Stewards and Squeak Packages

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Mar 7 17:30:33 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 17:24, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> 1. Kernel. (True, False, Array etc)
> 2. Core. (DisplayScanner, FontSet etc)
> 3. Base (Browser, Workspace, Debugger etc)
Bad examples - 'core' being a barebones dev env, browser, workspace and
debugger will land there.
> 4. Stewarded packages not in base
These will land in 'base'. Of course, to the extent that we define
Stewardship as something official and, for example, differentiate
between a Steward and some dumbwhit who declares himself a Steward of
HttpView...

> Actually, I have heard of Troves and seen it in several of these "tools"
> around the net but I honestly don't know what they really are (except
> for some kind of graph representation, right?). If you have a good link
> I can check.

I haven't checked out the theory behind it; I just noted that both
Freshmeat and SourceForge use it, and it seems to be a simple and
flexible categorization system. I think Eric Raymond came up with it,
dunnow whether that is good ;-), but it helps in searching for more
info: http://catb.org/~esr/trove/