Squeak mini-meta-FAQ

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Mar 11 13:18:02 UTC 2003

Hi Mike and all!

<mikevdg at hetnet.nl> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> > (Note to all: this is a first draft - perhaps we could stuff it into a
> > Swiki page and then somehow schedule to get it posted once a week? Just
> > an idea, if you all think this is a pretty daft idea then we can forget
> > about it)
>
> Wouldn't it be better to put this information on the www.squeak.org site? It's kind of stuff that newbies (like me) need to know, and www.squeak.org is basically the entrance to the Squeak world. I personally think there should be a "developers" section on the web-site with information about the harvesters, the guides, how to submit changes, links to important docs, links to the sourceforge site?, coding style... etc.

Well, all of those things you mention are at the Squeak Swiki. Since the
Swiki is much easier to edit etc it has turned into the de facto central
quite a few years ago. But I do agree that the link on squeak.org to the
Squeak Swiki really needs to be AT THE TOP. Not a way bit down...

In general... well, people will probably disagree with me but I would
really consider turning squeak.org into a Swiki so that we more easily
can keep it updated. Sure, we should have a password of course for
editing.

> I also think that the swiki's are important enough to have direct links from the main homepage.

But they have. Err... well somewhat. :-) The link to the Squeak Swiki is
there (though it should be at the top). And btw, the link to the
Squeakdoc swiki should IMHO be removed and that swiki is just... dead. I
mean hey, it says "Welcome to Squeak 2.4". Garf.

The link to www.squeakfoundation.org is admittedly not there - so I
agree with you, www.squeak.org should really be given an overhaul. Who
is it who normally maintains those pages now again?

> > Just to name two of the most important pages on the Squeak swiki:
> >
> > http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/471	- The Squeak FAQ
> > 		Do I need to tell you what to do with it?
> >
> > http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/398 - How to submit bugs, fixes and enhancements:
> > 		Very important to read before doing a blunder like say posting code simply copied into an email. :-)
>
> These pages should really be linked from www.squeak.org somewhere. Especially the FAQ.

Yeah, that would probably be sensible.

But anyway, I agree with you regarding the stuff above but I **still**
would like this mini-meta-FAQ to be posted on the list.
This is because no matter what people tend to stumble into the list with
no clue. Presumably this may of course be *due* to the fact that
www.squeak.org is really outdated and incomplete, but people will
probably still manage to miss it completely.

This doesn't of course mean that this info shouldn't be available on
squeak.org *too*.

Well, I may be wrong and then we can simply dump the auto-posting, more
views?

regards, Göran