[MCP] Progress report - Episode I

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Mon Mar 17 16:31:30 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
> Sounds like a plan.
[snip] Why not do your
> internal process as you intended, and start sending in public change
> sets as soon as some are ready?
>
> Keep the bites small, and they'll be digested by the usual process.
> So far, all of your work is work-in-progress - nobody is enjoying it's
> benefits. The small change sets + quality tags process is the fastest
> way to convert it into throughput.

Well I woudn't say that the "usual process" is particularily fast
at the moment.

It has a huge backlog of changes. So I do not see the advantage
of the MCP team sending some more individual changes.

Perhaps later.

At the moment they will just stack up on a huge pile (the size
of it is even not known).

Up to now the version 3.5  consists of two bug fixes (actually
very important ones). It doesn't seem that Doug likes to include
more bug fixes. So no reason for any action now.

The MCP review process is open for anyone who wants to participate
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3005
(Probably you have to contact Diego first if you want to help)
At this very moment 2 of 38 changes have been reviewed.

If we later switch to a Debian like release scheme we probably
could load in the whole MCP changes at once in "unstable",
then into 'testing' and finally into 'stable'.

Regards
Hannes