Moving ahead (was re: release scope names (was "Kernel/Coder/Carnival"))

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Wed Mar 19 05:23:14 UTC 2003

To me the primary names are going to be whatever designations we give to
the kernel and the core/base.

If SM is going to be a primary means of distributing most all else above
that via packages, then most everything above a VM and a image capable
of allowing package distribution choices via SM will be up to the user.

Personally I don't necessarily plan on the
kitchensink/carnival/wholeKitNKaboodle image for myself. I don't install
my OSes that way I won't necessarily choose to do Squeak that way when
there are choices. :)

When a package/distribution is merely (not an insult to SM, but rather a
tremendous compliment) a list of packages, then expert/community
designed configurations can abound. Possibly a swiki or experience
rating system on SM could be done for bugs/conflicts etc. when
downloading/installing a package/distribution.

I believe that this is something that will be greatly voted on by the
community by its download and install patterns. Then we will truly know
what the user/community thinks.

As I said, when Squeak is very OSlike and the user has OSlike install
options I believe the user will make choices based on their purpose for
that image or their personal usage patterns. Just like I always hate the
default install of Windows. Yuck. Fortunately, I don't own any windows
machines, unfortunately the ones I get to use are yucky default
installs. :) ):

Jimmie Houchin